Tuesday 3 June 2014

Replica of an Orla Kiely Pattern.



My Replica of an Orla Kiely Pattern.







 This is a  photo of  my own pencils. Multi Stem on the left and the Flower Abacus pattern Ivy on the right. This is the one I'm going to replicate. I have decided to try this in a textile format.




 I have used felt in this project as it will give me a crisp edge when I cut with the scissors and will not fray.
A straight cut up the edge of the white felt gave me the vertical lines required. To make the flower template I used a folded piece of card (old christmas card, in fact) and cut out one petal .



 When template is opened you have the complete flower. The next stage is to cut round template on the white felt, as many repeats as required.





Using white thread, sew around edges of flowers and long white strips (stems).


After this is completed, the last piece to add is the central buds which I will stitch with Mercer crochet cotton 40 thread in a peach/pink no 503.






The easiest way to stitch the centres was in a starburst style.

Here we have the finished piece.



This has given me the idea, at a future date, to make the centres yellow, add a few white, thicker, textured threads for more defined petals and turn them into daisies.

Lots of possibilities :-)


No comments:

Post a Comment