Tuesday 3 June 2014

Patterns and Textiles of Orla Kiely


Patterns and Textiles Of Orla Kiely.

Here are a few of Orla Kiely's designs, some used for wallpaper, dress fabrics, crockery, stationary and upholstery. The list is limitless. I believe that the majority of her designs are such, that they can be used in most sizes and on most surfaces.


Multi Stem Wallpaper (www.orlakiely.com)


This pattern is recognised as her signature pattern design and is produced in many colourways and sizes.

Multi Stem in Seagreen Wallpaper (www.orlakiely.com)

It is a very versatile pattern, as each year she produces a new version, for example in colourway, a textural effect in the leaves or plain outline stitchery especially on bags. It is a simple motif but extremely effective and instantly recognisable. I personally enjoy the seagreen colourway version more as I feel it has a calming quality as opposed to the brighter original.







Multi Stem Canister ( wwww.ebay.co.uk)                      Multi Stem Mini Task Lamp (www.orlakiely.com)



This next pattern is also a single motif;-



Acorn Cup Wallpaper (www.orlakiely.com)




Acorn Cup Phone Cover, ( wwwtotaldigitalstores.co.uk)




This motif is in a similar vein to Multi Stem. It works well visually for the same reasons and would be extremely effective reduced to the smallest size, as a repeat pattern for a dress, whereby the actual motif would not emerge to the eye until one was particularly close. For what appears quite a busy pattern, with very little background on show, the circle cup draws in the eye.

(www.orlakiely.com)

Even though this version is red , I happen to like it, and find it quite cheery. I think the blue spots dampen down the brightness and makes it more to my taste. It is a continued surprise how the look of a pattern and what one feels about it, alters when the colour combination is changed. I think this is very important to keep in mind for all art projects in order not to dismiss a piece of work by mistake.

Alpine Forest print raincoat A/W 2006 ( my photo from her book . .pattern - orla kiely, Octopus Books)

Alpine Forest print in ruby A/W 2006 ( my photo from her book . . pattern - orla kiely, Octopus Books

This is a simple motif made more interesting by the placement of the overlapping shades in the tree shapes and I certainly wouldn't mind the raincoat in it's lovely mustard yellow tones. The choice of red for the dress makes it quite noticeable and 'shouty' whereas the raincoat colour recedes and is more demure.

Aerial View print in Glade A/W 2009 ( my photo from her book . pattern-orla kiely, Octopus Books)
Do I like this print? Yes and no, I can't decide. I love the idea of the aerial view, the spongy splodges of green work well in conveying the forest with their rough uneven edges but the pink, umm. I agree you need an accent colour and different shape to highlight and pull you in closer and make the eye travel. It's the pink for me and yet a paler pink or red would not have the same impact. However I keep coming back to it when I look at the book, so it's probably the right choice and I'll need to get over my pink phobia. It has certainly caught my attention.

Boat Sketch print in Charcoal S/S 2010 ( my photo from her book . pattern- orla kiely, Octopus Books)
close up of above
I love this pattern for it's 1950s look and think it would be amazing in powder blue or a yellow which would give it a summery feel for a dress fabric. I like the idea of this as a wallpaper on an accent wall too. The fine lines convey the movement of the water under the bobbing boat.




Colourblock print in Walnut for a Special Project for Tate Galleries 2008 ( my photo from her book . pattern-orla kiely, Octopus Books)
This print reminds me of  sofa upholstery fabric from the 70's ( the one we had was in orange shades). This is a nicer, calmer colour combination. The brown and grey giving an appearance of warmth. The broken lines appeal to me as I see stitchery and therefore the print has a textural quality.

Striped Petal pattern on book cover. (My photo from her book pattern-orla kiely, Octopus Books)

Striped Petal pattern on dress S/S 2008. (My photo from her book pattern-orla kiely, Octopus Books)

These photos show the different uses for the same motif.

 "Flower Blossom" pattern on a skirt. ( My photo from her book pattern-orla kiely, Octopus Books)

 "Flower Blossom" Pattern on a duvet. (My photo from her book pattern-orla kiely, Octopus Books)


The versatility of her patterns is remarkable, again and again these motifs transfer easily from one situation to another, as you can see above.

Beach Flora Print in Sea Green S/S 2010 (My photo from her book pattern-orla kiely, Octopus Books)
I like this pattern for the fine line flower doodle centres as they are particularly clear against the white petals. Strangely, although the pattern is called Beach Flora and I presume the greens represent seaweed, I keep thinking of watermelons instead.

I do like her work and, even allowing for the differences in peoples personal colour preferences, I believe, her work will endure and continue to evolve.

  



No comments:

Post a Comment