Sunday 8 June 2014

A Final Word.



A Final Word.

Well, that's my Contextual Studies Module come to an end. I hope you have enjoyed reading about and/or been inspired by Lucienne Day and Orla Kiely; two exceptional textile artists.

Lucienne Day was a pioneer in the field of pattern design and unconsciously began a movement for female recognition in textiles which continues today with Orla Kiely. Kiely has extended this influence and by building her own business and name as a brand continues to raise the bar for future textile designers achievements.

I believe both their work is an important legacy for the future and will continue to inspire and influence not just textile designers but creators in all artistic genres. ( e.g I have in mind taking some of these patterns and interpreting them as a 3D sculpture with blocks of shaped colours, haven't worked it all out yet. Maybe next year. :-) )

I admire them both for their beautiful colourful designs, for their personal achievements and their belief in themselves.

As for my own personal journey with this blog, I have to admit when I heard about it during the first class, I was terrified and probably looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights. It has been a steep learning curve, having come from a pre-computer age background, and fighting the panic has been a challenge but in the end I have come to be comfortable with this aspect of the digital world. Keeping in mind,with a blog, that I'm having a conversation with others and sharing with them people I admire helped. With the 'How to make' blogs I felt they aided the making process; with the putting things in the right order type of thoughts. Helping others who might want to try making their own creation was also an incentive to get it right.

I hope you have found these artists as interesting and inspiring as I have.

Postscript

I was admiring a friends tesco bag of green and mustard squares and mentioned it was by Orla Kiely and that it was lovely, she very kindly offered it to me. I'm slightly ashamed to say, I accepted without a moments hesitation, now all I need is a piece of Lucienne Day fabric . . . so my next 'post' will be Dear Santa . . :-)












No comments:

Post a Comment